Pre-Season football is typically comprised of friendly competitions in order to get your team’s fitness and skill levels up in preparation for the real thing a few months before the season starts, well Jon Hare has kicked it into over drive with early access now available for Sociable Soccer.
If you grew up in the in the 90’s and had a C64 or an Amiga, you would probably be very familiar with the name Jon Hare, the mastermind behind Sensible Software and the creator of classics such as Microprose Soccer, Cannon Fodder and Sensible Soccer. So who better to release another fun and arcade style football game?
Whilst your copy of Dino Dini’s Kick Off Revival gathers dust on the shelf, grab yourself early access to what is & will be the best arcade style football game released since the days of vintage computing.
Early access means that there are still some areas of the game where the team at Combo Breaker & Tower Studios will tweak and fix in the coming months for the lead up to the finalised release in January 2018, thanks in large to the comments made by the Sociable Soccer player community.
Back in September, I was lucky enough to preview the game with none other than the man himself Jon Hare in person at the Tower Studios offices in London and I must say the game has come on in leaps and bounds in a short space of time for instance the first thing I noticed is that the Goalkeeper AI has become more intelligent in saves and positioning.
By purchasing the game in its current form, you have access to several game modes. Boss Mode is a unique game mode where you can progress your manager from Rookie to Elite, which comprises of 100 hours of league and international competition scenarios in order to receive manager points to progress to the next stage and upgrade your manager. With over 67 full international, real world football leagues including cups & tournaments. You also have over 30,000 players, each with their own player’s card and modified slightly from their real world counterparts. The database is vast, unfortunately due to licensing arrangements, names of clubs and players are modified in order to protect the innocent.
There are two camera angles available, whether you like the FIFA style side to side or the SWOS birds eye view, both require mastery and if you are familiar with the SWOS angle, then you should already be a goal scoring superstar hero.
If you are an avid FIFA and PES player then the controls will fit to your preferences, allowing to you play the game with ease and in full control, like you have been playing it for years.
There is limited online play at the moment and I know this will change vastly. Whilst it is already working in preliminary international tests, this will be expanded significantly in online tournaments, such World Cups and domestic and international leagues. Something that I am really looking forward too.
Gameplay is a lot fun. Quick passing, agile movement and fun graphical animations make this more of an arcade style game, whilst the latest FIFA & PES instalments allow you to be more strategic in planning and management, Sociable Soccer focuses everything on its simplistic, yet sociably fun game play as the title suggests.
Quoted from the official Sociable Soccer Steam page:
How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The following additions are likely to feature in the full release:
- Online Play (already working in preliminary international tests, but matchmaking incomplete)
- Manager Mode (for those who prefer to set the team up and sit back)
- DIY Competitions for up to 8 player teams online or offline
- My Team Mode, represent your club online against fans of other clubs and build up your team by collecting, upgrading and exchanging over 30,000 player cards.
- Improvements to AI and goalkeepers
- Loads more animations and sounds
- 2017-18 season data update and data editor
- General fixes and refinements
- Trophy collection room
What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“The Early Access version of the game contains the following features:
- Fast, slick, ultra-responsive gameplay with intuitive game controls
- Play with a variety of control methods & cameras, including THAT camera angle
- Over 1,000 fully researched club & international teams
- Over 30,000 players (each with his own player card)
- Local Multiplayer Mode (Online Multiplayer on its way very soon)
- Loads of formations and tactics options to fine tune your team
- 67 full international, real world football leagues, cups and tournaments
- Boss Mode: Upgrade your boss character by winning international trophies with clubs from around the world (minimum 100 hours campaign)
We here at Retro Domination believe it to be worth every penny, so be part of the Sociable Soccer community and have your say on how the game shapes into the final product.
You can purchase the game here on Steam
It will be available on XBOX One, PS4, VR, IOS, Android & Nintendo Switch in the future, Keep your eyes peeled.